Monday, October 23, 2006

I recently had an acquaintance (not close friend) launch into a rather personal, private conversation with me that made me feel like I was his therapist. I was rather nonplussed by the experience and kept trying to figure out why. Later on, I was reading this article on cell phone use when I cam upon these paragraphs. Several light bulbs went on, including the one about "Why Blog?".

Jim Williams, an industrial sociologist based in Massachusetts, notes that cell-phone addiction is part of a set of symptoms in a widening gulf of personal isolation. He cites a study by Duke University researchers that found one-quarter of Americans say they have no one with whom to discuss their most important personal business.
In other words, William says, despite the growing use of phones, email and instant messaging, studies show that we don't have as many pals as our parents. "Just as more information has led to less wisdom, more acquaintances via the Internet and cell phones have produced fewer friends," he says.

1 comment:

Russell Smith said...

Mac-daddy -- great to see that you have a blog -- I never knew. I'll have to add you to my subscription list.
Russell